To get started with SIP-based IP telephony measurements, please follow these simple steps.
1. Sign up for Netrounds
Sign up for a trial account at https://app.netrounds.com/system/signup/ completely free of charge. The trial account gives you access to five software Test Agents (with Medium license), which among other things are capable of SIP-based measurements.
2. Download Netrounds Test Agents
The next step is to download, install, and configure Netrounds Test Agents. Since SIP-based calls are made between Test Agents, you need to download and install two of them. Test Agents have built-in SIP user agents that can be used to initiate and receive SIP-based phone calls.
- Under Test Agents in the Netrounds user interface, click the Download button.
- Download Test Agents of the desired type. Follow the on-screen links for installation instructions, or refer to the links below.
By default, once connected and powered up, all Test Agents will communicate directly with the cloud server through an encrypted connection (to login.netrounds.com using TCP port 443).
3. Configure SIP test accounts
The next step is to configure SIP accounts for use in the tests. From the main menu, navigate to Account > SIP accounts, and add at least two SIP accounts according to this guide: Setting up SIP accounts.
4. Connect the Test Agents to your network and start your first test
Once you have downloaded and installed two Test Agents and registered them to your Netrounds cloud account, and you have your SIP accounts set up, you are ready to start testing. The Test Agents should appear in the Test Agents view.
Follow the instructions below to start a simple SIP-based test.
- Log in to your Netrounds account at app.netrounds.com.
- Click New.
- Select Test Sequence.
- Select the SIP test feature.
- Select the SIP test.
- Under Hub, select one of the Test Agents you have installed, and select a SIP account to use.
- Under Clients, select the other Test Agent, and select another SIP account.
- Give the test a name, and click Start.
You should see measurement results within a few seconds.
To learn more, read the page Getting started building your own tests and monitorings, or just continue experimenting on your own – it is really easy!
The links that follow take you to topics that go deeper into various categories of Netrounds tests and measurements: