Building a software Test Agent is very simple; no advanced configuration or tweaking is required.
Follow these steps:
- Download the ISO image.
- Burn the ISO image to a CD. Boot the PC that you want to use as Test Agent from the CD.
- Select "install" from the menu that appears immediately at boot. The installation takes about 4–5 minutes.
Note: Any content on the PC's hard disk will be overwritten.
- When the installation is complete, you need to reboot the PC. Be sure to remove the CD so that the PC boots from the installed image on the hard drive.
- The PC will now boot up as a Netrounds Test Agent.
- When the login prompt is shown, log in with user "admin" and password "admin". A text-based menu will now appear as shown below.
- Make sure the PC is connected to the Internet using a wired interface. You can check the link status by selecting Show interface status. You can also change IP addressing for management of the Test Agent by selecting Configure management. By default, the Test Agent uses DHCP on the first detected interface (normally called "eth0").
- If your hardware has multiple wired interfaces and you are unsure which interface is eth0, unplug all interfaces but one and select Show interface status to see which interface has a link detected.
- Now select Register from the menu.
- Under Server, leave the default (login.netrounds.com).
- Under E-mail, enter the email address used to log in to your Netrounds account.
- Under Probe name, specify a name for the Test Agent. You are now asked for your Netrounds password.
- The Test Agent should now be registered, and it will also appear in the Netrounds web application. Go to app.netrounds.com and log in, then check under Test Agents in the main menu.
- Assign an appropriate license to the Test Agent. Click the Test Agent in the inventory list under Test Agents in the main menu. See also this page.